Greentime Episode #18 – Bi…cycle! Bi…cycle!

Video thumbnail. Click to play
Click to Play

So, we’re starting to make that plunge towards conserving our automobile use. As you may be aware from previous episodes, Amy is already a telecommuter, so this one falls mostly to Rhett. Just by taking a bike for his daily commute and changing his lifestyle around slightly (read: no going home for lunch), he’s able to carve off a good 90 miles a week. That might not sound like much, but he really doesn’t drive very much as it is. If we’re not going on a road trip (which is rare), then that’s probably at least a 50% reduction.

Commuting and running errands with a bicycle is pretty easy. Just hop over to t or your local bike shop and get a nice, sturdy, used bike…then replace the mountain bike tires with slicks designed for use on the roads. A couple of small and simple tools to go with it, and you’ve got a vehicle that’s mighty fun, healthy, and green to ride.

Oh, and did we mention it’s the most energy efficient mode of transport? Yes, even if you take a very pessimistic analysis, it is not only more efficient than virtually any other choice in ground transport, but shaping your lifestyle around a bike encourages conservation.

Formats available: Quicktime (.mov), MPEG-4 Video (.m4v)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• del.icio.us
  • blogmarks
  • Reddit
  • Technorati

7 Comments

1. Carreen said,

October 25, 2007 @ 4:06 pm

You should have played the song! Freddy and the boys wouldn’t mind, right?

I’ve been wanting to start biking to work for awhile, but now that it’s getting darker earlier (and a bit cold) I’m kind of chickening out…

2. Rhett said,

October 26, 2007 @ 6:58 am

Carreen,

Freddy and the boys would probably be (or have been) amused, but the lawyers at their labels tend to have no sense of humor, and we’ve had too many friends get takedown notices lately, so we figured we’d not risk it.

I certainly know about the chickening out. At first, it was recovering from my ACL surgery. After moving here, I had to restrict my activity to special, controlled things for about six months. Then it was the summer and the roads were under construction, and I told myself it was “too dangerous”. Then my bike didn’t seem to perform well and I said I “needed a new one”. I didn’t…I needed new tires. But, all the on-and-off excuses stretched 6 months into 18 months. Believe it or not, whatever it is that seems so bad for being on the bike just doesn’t seem that bad after a day or two of trying it.

Granted, I don’t know where you live, so you really could be running thin on daylight. *smile*

3. Daisy said,

December 23, 2007 @ 8:49 am

First I wanted to say that I love Greentime and always look forward to new videos. It’s a nice break from just reading blog after blog. I live in Miami so it’s nice to have a local blog.

I use to bike, run and walk everywhere for many years of my life until my bike got stolen (in my own backyard!) a few years ago. Ever since then I hadn’t really wanted to buy a new one but lately I’ve wanted to live a greener lifestyle and I did really love biking so this video made me think, why not get into it again? Let’s just hope I can afford a new bike and start biking to work for the new year.

Well best of luck and happy holidays,
    Daisy.

4. Rhett said,

December 24, 2007 @ 9:01 pm

Daisy,

Thanks so much for the kind words. We realize we don’t produce as fast as blogs, but we like to think we make up for it with our content. Video is just slower to produce. :)

It’s great that you’re in Miami. There are a few regular viewers who live down this way, actually. We should have a little get-together sometime.

As for getting back into biking, if there’s a way we can help, just email us. There are a lot of great deals out there on Craigslist if you know how and where to look. And, if you get a bike, I’d be happy to see you down at Critical Mass in Miami!

Seasons Greetings!

5. Daisy said,

January 1, 2008 @ 1:29 pm

I could understand that it takes a little longer to make video blogs. If I ever have any ideas I’ll try to submit them.

Where can I find out more about the Critical Mass?

6. ryanne said,

January 2, 2008 @ 6:43 pm

great info!
    thanks for sharing
    you guys are an inspiration!!
    gotta get some city tires now….

7. Germinate » Bicycle Commuting For The Beginner said,

November 7, 2008 @ 9:04 am

[...] taken breaks off in-between for things like recovering from ACL replacement surgery. So, no…Episode #18 wasn’t something completely new for me. I tried it as an undergraduate, before having some [...]

RSS feed for comments on this post