Episode #20 – Experiment Scores and Retrospective #1

Video thumbnail. Click to play
Click to Play

Every 20th episode of this project is dedicated to looking back and putting a hard measure on how well previous experiments have worked out. Often, when we put out a show, we have just tried something out for the first time. Many green ideas seem green at first, or seem like they’re easy at first…but later on you just find they don’t work out for you. Sometimes, the hard things turn out to be easy, too. We each sit down separately and share our perceptions of these last eight months with the camera and pick our big winners and big losers. Our points where we agree and disagree might surprise you!

If you’d like to see how each of us scored every experiment, please check out the full scorecard on our site!

Formats available: MPEG-4 Video (.m4v), Quicktime (.mov)

Tags: , , , ,

• del.icio.us
  • blogmarks
  • Reddit
  • Technorati

7 Comments

1. Ester said,

November 28, 2007 @ 2:36 am

Hi,
    I am sorry you did not like the soy-milk. I have another recipe. It is also a bit messy, but tastes great.
    0.3 liter dried (raw) soybeans soaked over night
    2.2 liter water

Mix the soybeans with 0.2 liter water.
    Bring the rest of the water to boil in a large pan and add the foamy soymush. Stir!
    When it boils, take it from the stove and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
    Bring it to boil again.
    Take another larg pan and filter the soymilk through a cloth into it.
    Simmer for about five minutes.
    The flavour has a lovely nuttiness.

I also dry my chothes on lines, but indoor. Then I can leave it over night if I do the laundry in the evening. In Sweden the clothes dries faster indoor then outdoor most of the time.

2. Rhett said,

November 28, 2007 @ 7:49 am

Ester,

We like soy milk. We like it better than regular milk by a long shot. The real problem was that the straining process just takes too long for me to do and we use soy milk so sparingly that doing it ourselves just didn’t make for enough of an impact to justify it. Really, our biggest soy product is tofu, and I would have to make several batches of soy milk to make one block of tofu. Since I often bake our bread, too, I just don’t have enough labor time in the kitchen to make everything.

Plus, Amy can’t stand the smell of the beans cooking.

We sometimes dry our clothes indoors as well. South Florida is a very humid, subtropical place, and when the air’s wet, drying indoors makes much more sense.

3. Ester said,

December 1, 2007 @ 3:19 am

Hi Rhett,
    then I don’t understand why you feel that you can’t do half of the laundry, if you want to. In the show it seemed to bother you that Amy did most of it. If you can leave the laundy to dry over night, then why can’t you fit it in with a 9-5 job?
    About the soy milk, I think it tastes better than the one from the store, that’s why I sometimes make my own, but if the smell is bothering Amy I guess that another recipe won’t help :-)
    I watch your show with delight. Keep on going!
    best regards Ester

( By the way: Is there a way to communicate with you and Amy besides the comments? I’ve been looking for a e-mail adress, but could not find one. Is there one in a show? )

4. Rhett said,

December 1, 2007 @ 8:01 am

Ester,

I guess it has more to do with the fact that Amy’s just got it so well under control, really. I like being more equal in the way our chores come out, but she seems to have a “rhythm” to it that she personally prefers, so it becomes her thing.

It’s not that bad. The cooking is my thing, and the garden is mostly my charge.

5. Vanessa said,

December 5, 2007 @ 7:44 am

Yay for bicycle love!! I’m totally with you on that… when I went to pick up Deni (my bike) from the hospital (repair shop) yesterday, I actually gave it a hug, I missed it so much. Had to laugh, though, at your cute American way of saying “panniers” – we here in Canada prefer the French way, “pann-yays”.

So jealous of your tomatoes right now! And although Amy wasn’t so into the container garden, I do feel like it provides so much satisfaction in other ways that in the end the lack of savings on the grocery bill doesn’t matter so much.

P.S. Where’s your kitty? I think we need more cat cameos :)

6. Rhett said,

December 5, 2007 @ 9:00 am

Amy likes the container gardens. I think her biggest concern with has to do with a labor/greening return on investment. Herbs and ornamentals are easy to grow; vegetables take care. On top of that, more than half of our gardens have failed outright. If we plant a pot too far away from the front porch, opossums and squirrels eat the shoots or dig up the seeds. Our porches don’t get much sun, though.

We’re also finding that the growing season down here is the winter. The tomato plants’ output has shot off at an amazing rate since it cooled down a little. I think we have eight little tomatoes now. Don’t get us wrong…the garden is fun, and we’re swimming herbs for pesto now, but when it comes to the brass tacks, it’s not doing much.

Zammis is actually doing research on a green pet products show. It’s funny, but he started out just jumping in our laps whenever the camera came out, then became a star, and then demanded input on the production process.

Cats!

7. Rhett said,

December 5, 2007 @ 9:02 am

Oh, yeah…and us Yanks have no clue how to pronounce French words. That said, as a former lacrosse player who understands cricket and hockey and whose family has included some serious curlers…as well as my voice having a weird mix of Amy’s former British accent with my native Southern drawl…people confuse me for someone from Vancouver a lot.

RSS feed for comments on this post