Episode #21 – Community Supported Agriculture

Video thumbnail. Click to play
Click to Play

Since the container gardening doesn’t seem to have a high yield, and since our local organic market has expensive produce and the nearest real farmer’s market is in the next town over, we’ve opted to become subscribers in community supported agriculture (CSA), a relatively new business model for farms that should keep us in locally produced, seasonal, organic produce for months.

CSA can be very cost-effective and convenient, but many people don’t feel comfortable with the idea of cooking whatever it is the farm is growing. So, we’ve brought along Ilona, our friend, local foodie, and fellow CSA subscriber. Rhett and Ilona go to town dissecting the first shipment from Redland Organics and discussing ways to make quick, simple, satisfying meals without bending over backwards.

Interested in trying out CSA for yourself? Just check out Local Harvest to see if there’s a farm near you!

Show credits:

Formats available: MPEG-4 Video (.m4v), Quicktime (.mov)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• del.icio.us
  • blogmarks
  • Reddit
  • Technorati

6 Comments

1. Carreen said,

December 15, 2007 @ 3:16 pm

This is a great episode! I am looking forward to May when I will get shares of our local CSA… Hopefully I’ll be able to get in – there’s only one in my area. You are so lucky to be in Florida. I’m looking out my window at 4 inches of snow.

2. Rhett said,

December 21, 2007 @ 8:13 am

True, we don’t have snow in Florida, but you should try a summer down here. Between hiding from the heat and praying a hurricane doesn’t hit us, we wonder how people ever survived here.

3. Beth said,

January 1, 2008 @ 2:16 pm

Awesome! We are thinking about expanding our personal garden in the next couple of seasons and creating something similar to our own small CSA with close friends and family.

4. Carreen said,

January 28, 2008 @ 8:12 pm

Feel better soon!

5. Rhett said,

January 28, 2008 @ 9:29 pm

Thanks, Carreen, and thanks for sticking around through the drought of posts. We finally shot one tonight, despite being hoarse and coughing a bit. We really appreciate people like you who take the time to drop us a note like that. :)

6. Emmie said,

January 31, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

Another solution is starting a gardening co-op. If you grow tomatoes on your front porch, and your friend has an apple tree (times about five other friends), you end up with a lot of free produce.

I like the idea of CSA, but my experience was that we received a lot of produce my kids wouldn’t touch. I lost a ton of weight living on rutabaga so it wouldn’t go to waste, but it wasn’t a good long term solution for my family. I hope it works for you, though!

RSS feed for comments on this post